Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Apple Pie Breakfast

I have been on this cooking craze recently. I have been meal prepping for work, different chicken variations each week, and I usually do a crock pot creation on my day off. Scrolling on Pinterest yesterday I saw greatness and decided to give it a whirl.

 However recently, health has been high priority while cooking. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my snacks, but while actually taking effort to create something in the kitchen it has been healthy. I have yet to try any breakfast items in my slow cooker so today was the day.

What you will need:

-Steel Cut oats
-Apple juice
-3 apples of your choice ( I used Fuji)
- Cinnamon
-Brown sugar
-Water

*You can do this as overnight oats if you wish, but I chose to do this during the day as I was having a lazy day off at home.

This is pretty much the most basic thing I have made thus far.

1. Add 3 cups of water
2. Add 1 cup apple juice
3.Chunk the apples into bite sized pieces and add into slow cooker
4. Add 1 cup Steel cut oats
5. Add as much cinnamon as you like. I just sprinkled in as much as I wanted by eyeballing it
6. add 1/3 cup brown sugar

If you are doing overnight oats put the cooker on Low, if you are around to watch, you can put it on High and just keep an eye on it. Mine took 3 hours on high to have a nice thick hearty texture. This will create about 4 1/2 cups of finished product.

Note: My entire house smelt like pure bliss for hours to follow cooking and cleanup!

You can leave out the brown sugar to keep it cleaner if you like, it will still taste amazing.


 Steel cut oats could be considered a "power food" because they are an excellent source of protein, soluble and insoluble fiber and select vitamins and minerals. The benefits of steel cut oats exceed the benefits of rolled oats because of the way they are processed. The insoluble fiber in steel oats includes d-beta-glucan which is associated with improved blood sugar levels in diabetes and improved cholesterol levels. The protein in steel-cut oats is complete, containing trace amounts of all the essential amino acids. You can get 10 percent of the recommended daily allowance for iron in 1/4 cup dry steel-cut oats.

No comments:

Post a Comment