Saturday, July 27, 2013

Skating to Sanity

Skating to sanity

 After 10 years of being on the road as a Showgirl, I have learned many tricks to the trade. I have learned how to successfully travel for 8 months straight living out of only two 50 pound suitcases. I have learned how to successfully manage a long distance relationship with the person I have abandoned back home to go twirl around on large chunks of ice as a massive character of sorts.  I have learned how to pull pranks, put on fake eyelashes like a boss, save money, make a full coverage costume using only 3 items, sew fishnet holes like a pro, take shots like a man, smile to a full audience while crying inside, I have become the master of creative care packages, and I have learned what to do and what not to do to keep my sanity while being away from my friends and loved ones for almost a year at a time.

 I currently am away from home being a giant dog with blades on it's feet for 3 months in Ohio..... YEP, I said three MONTHS in OHIO!!! Being a Florida native, spending all your summer months in Ohio for 4 years straight can be slightly a downer. Do not get me wrong I have a blast while I am here with my skating family, but it is quite the adjustment. Every year that passes, and the older I become, I find it harder and harder to keep my sanity through these contracts. I like to find ways and projects to keep my brain active and pass some of the time.

 Weather it has been taking school courses, doing a 3 month body makeover, making stupid pointless videos of poor dancing to put onto the internet for nobody to laugh at, or in this contracts case.... starting a blog, I find that the more active I keep myself and make myself feel like I am being productive when I am not on the ice skating for 3-100 people in the stands (haha only kind of kidding) the happier my soul is, the less I lash out on my fellow carnies at work, and the faster the time passes between paychecks.

 So my first showgirl story/ tip for my fellow showgirls out there :

While on the road for 1 month or 1 year always make time to do what makes you happy. If you enjoy to run, make sure you are getting your daily jog on, if you like to sit and blog about your time on the road for nobody to read about, sit on your butt and type away. If you like to tour all the local bars and find every plastic collectable cup you can find (which is not recommended, unless you enjoy having no space left in those two 50 lbs suitcases) then I say put on your shoes, preset something to soak up all the booze in your stomach and go drink those drinks :) Point is, do what makes you happy, enjoy your time on the road, sight see, take lots of photos, make a few minutes to keep in touch with your buddies back home, and just enjoy this amazing lifestyle you have, that so many others dream of having. At the end of the day it is just an ice show, so once you dry those blades for the last time, get onto a tour bus, eat your dinner of ramen noodles in the hotel room that you cooked in a hot pot on the toilet.... Go live life and enjoy what the road has to offer
 






No comments:

Post a Comment